- Class Actions and Complex Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith
- Louisiana State University School of Law, J.D., 1996
- Pennsylvania State University, B.A., 1991
- Barrasso Usdin Kupperman Freeman & Sarver, L.L.C.
- Stone Pigman Walther Wittmann, L.L.C.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers
- Benchmark Litigation, Future Star
- Louisiana Super Lawyers
- CityBusiness Leadership in Law, 2012
- New Orleans Magazine, Top Lawyers
- President's Award, Louisiana State Bar Association
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated in Martindale-Hubbell
- Order of the Coif
- Louisiana Law Review, Member
H. Minor Pipes, III
H. Minor Pipes, III is a founding member of the firm. He provides counsel in insurance coverage and bad faith litigation, construction law, general litigation, corporate litigation, and class actions. Since being admitted to the Bar, Minor has tried numerous cases to decision, in both state and federal courts. Minor most recently was the lead negotiator for the defendants in the Global Settlement of a national class action involving eight hundred settling defendants – the matter of In re: Chinese Manufactured Drywall Products Liability Litigation (E.D. La. MDL No. 2047).
Minor has been recognized as a top lawyer in the State of Louisiana by Louisiana Super Lawyers and New Orleans Magazine, a leading lawyer in the city by Best Lawyers and New Orleans CityBusiness, and a “Future Star” by Benchmark Litigation.
Professional and Civic Activities
Minor is Vice President of the Louisiana Bar Foundation and a member of the Louisiana State Bar Association's nominating committee. He previously served as a member of the Louisiana State Bar Association's Board of Governors. Minor also was selected as a member of the inaugural class of Leadership LSBA, working with leadership of the Louisiana State Bar Association on numerous projects to improve the legal profession.
Minor currently serves as Co-Chair of the Louisiana State Bar Association Summer School Committee. His community involvement includes working with Trinity Episcopal School and numerous non-profits in the area.
- Lead representative for over 800 defendants in the national class action and global settlement of the Chinese Drywall Litigation.
- Successful defense of insurer, and recovery of millions of dollars of payments on its behalf, in coverage litigation trial involving claims in excess of $12 million arising from a FEMA trailer explosion.
- Lead counsel in the litigation and settlement of over 2500 hurricane cases for three separate insurance companies.
- Lead counsel for major insurers in hundreds of bad faith and compliance cases, and hundreds of coverage cases throughout Louisiana.
- Defense of pharmaceutical wholesaler in $12 million unfair trade practices case, resulting in a defense verdict, and full recovery on counter-claims.
- Successful representation of oil and gas drilling contractor in $600,000 FLSA claim, resulting in complete defense verdict.
Minor has made numerous presentations, including:
"Settling the Unsettleable Case – How Chinese Drywall Settled," Louisiana State Bar Association New York Multi-Topic CLE, 2012
“Closing Argument,” CLE of Louisiana, 2012
"Peremptory Challenges – Are They Still Needed?," CLE of Louisiana, 2009
"Jury Selection Crisis – Batson: Should We Strike Peremptory Challenges?," Louisiana State Bar Association Summer School, 2009
"Property Insurance in Louisiana – What We Learned in 3 Years of Litigation,” Louisiana State Bar Association Destination Disney Continuing Legal Education Program, 2009
"Sher Post Mortem: Insurance Law Panel," CLE of Louisiana, 2008
- Thursday, Jul. 17, 2014
Firm Wins Summary Judgment for CGL Insurer
On July 16, 2014, the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed summary judgment for the firm’s client, a CGL insurer, finding that the policies’ professional liability exclusions precluded any duty to defend the insured architecture firm...READ MORE ...
- Monday, Mar. 24, 2014
Successful Insurance Bad Faith Defense Featured in Mealey’s Litigation Report
A recent win by Partners H. Minor Pipes, III and Kristin L. Beckman was featured in the March 13th edition of Mealey’s Litigation Report: Insurance Bad Faith.
- Thursday, Mar. 06, 2014
Partner Minor Pipes Wins FLSA Lawsuit Before the Fifth Circuit
H. Minor Pipes, III served as lead trial and appellate counsel for LaGreca Services in a Fair Labor Standards Act lawsuit.
- Thursday, Jan. 02, 2014
15 Attorneys Selected by Super Lawyers
Barrasso Usdin Kupperman Freeman & Sarver, L.L.C. is proud to announce that fifteen attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of Super Lawyers. Ten attorneys were named Louisiana Super Lawyers and five were named Louisiana Rising Stars.
- Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013
Firm Successful in Product Liability Jury Trial
The firm was retained to defend J.M. Smith in a contract and unfair trade practice dispute with various entities. The case was tried as a Jury Trial before Judge Jay Zainey and resulted in an award in favor of J.M. Smith on all claims.
- Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2013
Barrasso Usdin “Highly Recommended” by Benchmark Litigation
Barrasso Usdin has been recognized in the 2014 edition of Benchmark Litigation as a “highly recommended” firm in Louisiana. In addition to the firm's recognition, eight partners were ranked as local stars.
- Thursday, Aug. 15, 2013
7 Barrasso Usdin Partners named as Best Lawyers in America
Barrasso Usdin Kupperman Freeman & Sarver is pleased to announce that Judy Y. Barrasso, George C. Freeman, III, Stephen H. Kupperman, H. Minor Pipes, III, Thomas A. Roberts, Richard E. Sarver, and Steven W. Usdin have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America.