Louisiana State University Law Center, J.D., 1994
University of Virginia, B.A., 1988
Registered investment adviser, Series 7 and Series 65
Michael H. Smither is an attorney and an investment adviser. He focuses his legal practice on securities litigation and regulation, including providing analysis of financial statements, securities trading strategies, and complex investment products. Michael has been working with Barrasso Usdin since 2008. He is also the founder and managing partner of IndexEdge Investment Consulting, LLC.
Michael has extensive experience within the securities industry. He helped develop the private client investment services of a large regional bank and then worked as an adviser with a wealth management and consulting group at a leading financial services firm. He has worked with both corporate and individual clients on a wide variety of investment services and products, including high net worth clients and elderly clients with trust and estate concerns. Michael also has handled a variety of client matters related to successions, divorce, guardianship, and probate.
Michael received his undergraduate degree in Economics from the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia and attended law school on a full academic scholarship at the Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University. In addition to practicing law, he has worked in Washington, D.C., as a U.S. Senate legislative aide specializing in federal budget and appropriations issues.
- Barrasso Usdin Kupperman Freeman & Sarver, L.L.C.
- IndexEdge Investment Consulting, L.L.C., New Orleans, LA and Austin, TX
- Merrill Lynch Private Client Group, New Orleans, LA
- Hibernia Private Client Group, New Orleans, LA
- Hibernia National Bank, New Orleans, LA
- Montgomery, Barnett, Brown, Read, Hammond, & Mintz, L.L.P., New Orleans, LA
- Legislative Aide to U.S. Senator J. Bennett Johnston (D-LA), Washington, D.C.