- Law Clerk to the Honorable James L. Dennis, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Law Clerk to the Zurich District Court, Zurich
Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., Cum Laude, 2007
University of Zurich Law Faculty, J.D., lic. iur., Magna Cum Laude, 2002
University of Zurich, B.A., cand. iur., 1999
Benchmark Litigation, Under 40 Hot List, 2016, 2017
Louisiana Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2016-2017
Owen L. Coon/James A. Rahl Senior Research Program, Research Honors
Founding Co-President, The Northwestern University Comparative Law Society
- New York
David N. Luder’s practice focuses on complex litigation and multi-party arbitration, including contracts, business torts and commercial disputes, as well as securities litigation and arbitration. His work in the securities area also regularly includes representing institutional clients and individuals before regulatory bodies, including the SEC and FINRA, at all stages. In addition to his practice before state and federal courts, David regularly appears before arbitration bodies under the auspices of FINRA and the American Arbitration Association.
David holds full law degrees from Northwestern University School of Law, Chicago, and the University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland. Before moving to the United States, he practiced with a litigation boutique in Zurich, Switzerland, where he maintained a broad cross-border litigation and arbitration practice (in German and English, as well as some French). Prior to joining the firm, he practiced as an associate in the securities litigation and international litigation and arbitration groups of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, in New York. David also clerked at both the trial and appellate level, with clerkships at the District Court of Zurich, in Zurich, Switzerland (in German) and at the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, in New Orleans.
David is a dual citizen of both the United States and Switzerland. Born and raised in Switzerland, David retains a keen interest in European business and political affairs. Advising and representing European clients with a U.S. presence is a key focus of his practice. David is fluent in English, German, and French.
David has been recognized by Louisiana Super Lawyers as a Rising Star, and has been named to Benchmark Litigation’s Under 40 Hot List for 2016 and 2017.
- Representing national broker-dealer parent and several affiliates in securities litigation arising out of failed hedge funds with approximately $300 – $400 million in claims.
- Representing several oil and gas companies in environmental litigation across Louisiana.
- Representing subrogated national insurance carriers in class actions arising out of insurance claims in connection with Hurricane Katrina.
- Representing or represented both claimants and respondents in arbitrations under the auspices of the American Arbitration Association (under the International Dispute Resolution Procedures of the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, the AAA (domestic) Arbitration Rules, and the AAA Construction Industry Arbitration Rules), and the International Chamber of Commerce, and the Zurich Chamber of Commerce (Swiss Arbitration Rules) venued in New York, Paris, Vienna, and Zurich.
- Represented senior executive of national broker-dealer in regulatory proceedings and civil litigation arising out of a multi-billion dollar ponzi scheme.
- Represented broker-dealer in dozens of customer complaints and FINRA arbitrations across the country arising out of the sale of proprietary mutual funds.
- Represented broker in FINRA disciplinary proceeding in a case of first impression and obtained favorable dismissal of sanctions leading to key precedent.
- Represented broker-dealer in seeking and obtaining dozens of injunctions barring arbitration of non-customer cases in federal district courts across the country. Successfully obtained appellate ruling of first impression upholding the lower court’s permanent injunction barring non-customer cases.
- Participated in the defense of several large financial institutions in multi-billion dollar securities litigations arising out of the subprime crisis in the New York federal courts resulting in favorable settlements.
- Participated in the successful defense of an international consortium from various business torts arising out of a failed U.S. acquisition.
- Represented Southeast Asian hedge fund in cross-border collection efforts in connection with failed financing.
David is a member of the New York City Bar Association, the Louisiana State Bar Association, and the New Orleans Bar Association. Throughout his career, he has participated in pro bono efforts involving a broad array of topics with a particular focus on indigent post-trial relief efforts in state and federal courts.
- August 2, 2017
- January 6, 2017
- August 8, 2016
- June 10, 2016
- December 24, 2015
- January 5, 2015
- October 10, 2013
- “Traps in U.S. Litigation,” Europa Institut, Zurich, Switzerland (October 14, 2016)
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, New York
- Meyer Muller Eckert Partners, Zurich