Jamie L. Berger
Tulane University Law School, J.D., Cum Laude, 2003
University of Pennsylvania, B.A., Cum Laude, 1999
Chambers USA, Securities Litigation, 2021, 2022
Benchmark Litigation, Future Star, 2019-2023; Under 40 Hot List, 2016, 2017
The Best Lawyers in America, 2021-2023
Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2017-2022; Rising Star, 2014-2016
Inside New Orleans, Readers’ Favorite Elite Lawyers, 2021
New Orleans CityBusiness, Women of the Year, Class of 2019; Leadership in Law Award, 2015
Order of Barristers
Tulane Moot Court Board, Judges Chair
Tulane Moot Court Trial Team, National Finalist
- New York
Jamie L. Berger is a member of the firm and serves as the firm’s hiring partner. Clients have praised Jamie for her "out-of-the-box solutions to complicated legal problems" and "impeccable judgment." Jamie practices in all aspects of complex litigation. She has litigated, arbitrated, and advised clients in a variety of areas, including securities, corporate governance, contract disputes, and government and regulatory investigations. Her clients come from a range of industries, including finance, banking, brokerage, energy, oil and gas, communications, transportation, entertainment, construction, and real estate. Jamie's work in the securities area regularly includes representing institutional clients and individuals before regulatory bodies, including the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
Jamie is applauded by clients for presenting “incredibly well and convincingly in front of general counsels, tribunals, and adversaries.” As one client described her to Chambers USA, she “is as smart a lawyer as you will find in the legal industry” and “quickly gains the trust and confidence of those before whom she advocates, particularly in the courtroom.” She serves as an adjunct professor of Trial Advocacy at Tulane Law School, and a faculty member for the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA).
Jamie has been recognized by Chambers USA for Securities Litigation and by The Best Lawyers in America for Securities Litigation and Commercial Litigation. She was named to the Under 40 Hot List by Benchmark Litigation, and subsequently as a Future Star. Jamie has been repeatedly recognized by Louisiana Super Lawyers as a leading lawyer in the state of Louisiana. The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) also honored Jamie with the Barney Mintz New Leadership Award, and New Orleans CityBusiness presented her with the "Leadership in Law" and "Women of the Year" awards. Jamie serves on the Advisory Board of the Anti-Defamation League (South Central Region), and she conducts admissions interviews for the University of Pennsylvania.
Jamie received her Bachelor of Arts from the University of Pennsylvania and her Juris Doctor from Tulane University Law School, where she served as a chairperson of the Tulane Moot Court Board, was a regional winner and national finalist on the Moot Court trial team, and graduated with Order of Barristers distinction. She is licensed in both Louisiana and New York and is admitted to practice before all of the federal District Courts of Louisiana, the Eastern and Western District Courts of New York, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
Prior to joining Barrasso, Jamie practiced in the litigation group of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, in New York, New York, where she served on the firm's Hiring Committee.
- Representing broker-dealer in complex securities litigation in federal court arising out of failed hedge funds with approximately $300 – $400 million in claims.
- Representing public company in maritime arbitration involving multi-million dollar dispute over the construction of two offshore service vessels.
- Represented large broker-dealer in multiple FINRA arbitrations nationwide arising from six high-yield bond funds that sustained massive losses during the 2007-2008 market crash.
- Represented broker-dealer in seeking and obtaining numerous injunctions barring arbitration of non-customer cases in several United States District Courts, including those in the Western District of Washington, District of Maryland, and the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Represented large oil and gas company in a mass tort action in which plaintiffs alleged damage to crawfishing harvest as a result of decades of oil and gas-related activities in the Atchafalaya Basin. Succeeded in having all claims against client dismissed through motions to dismiss and summary judgment.
- Represented large oil and gas exploration and production company in compelling multi-party arbitration and successfully argued for significant award of attorneys’ fees.
- Litigation victory in the United States District Court for Southern District of New York on behalf of a multibillion-dollar investment fund client in dismissal of securities fraud and other contract claims based on forum non conveniens involving Bahamian and Cayman incorporated funds.
- Litigation victory in a custody dispute, obtaining full parental custody for minor’s father.
- February 7, 2023
- December 19, 2022
- October 17, 2022
- October 12, 2022
- August 18, 2022
- June 1, 2022
- October 20, 2021
- August 19, 2021
- July 30, 2021
- May 21, 2021
- December 28, 2020
- October 8, 2020
- August 20, 2020
- January 15, 2020
- October 8, 2019
- August 16, 2019
- March 1, 2019
- December 28, 2018
- October 1, 2018
- December 27, 2017
- August 2, 2017
- January 6, 2017
- August 8, 2016
- December 24, 2015
- January 12, 2015
- December 29, 2014
- August 7, 2014
- April 22, 2014
- January 2, 2014
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, New York, New York