Tulane University Law School, J.D., Summa Cum Laude, 1977
Duke University, B.A., Magna Cum Laude, 1974
International Society of Barristers, Fellow and Board of Governors
Litigation Council of America, Fellow
Benchmark Appellate, Fifth Circuit Litigation Star
Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star 2019
Best Lawyers in America
Chambers USA, Ranked in Band 1, Litigation: General Commercial
Louisiana Super Lawyers, Top 50 Lawyers, since 2009
Louisiana Super Lawyers, since 2007
New Orleans CityBusiness, Top 50 Lawyers
New Orleans Magazine, Top Lawyers, 2017
AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated in Martindale-Hubbell
A founding member of Barrasso Usdin Kupperman Freeman & Sarver, L.L.C., Steve concentrates in the fields of class actions and complex litigation, commercial litigation, contract disputes, securities litigation and enforcement, and appeals. For several years, Steve has been named to the Best Lawyers in America in the fields of Business Litigation and Bet-The-Company Litigation, and by Chambers USA, in the field of General Commercial Litigation. According to Chambers, Steve comes “highly recommended for his understanding of complex litigation, particularly securities,” is “well known for his ‘robust and highly effective’ litigation style,” and is an “outstanding strategist.”
- Representing numerous securities firms and financial advisors in court cases and arbitrations throughout the country related to employee and customer disputes, and SEC and FINRA investigations.
- Represented oil and gas company in a series of class actions and in multidistrict litigation in state and federal courts related to securities fraud claims arising out of the sale of partnership interests in oil and gas properties.
- Defended tobacco company in class actions and individual cases arising out of claims of addiction and injury.
- Representation of precious metals dealer in antitrust case against a public company arising out of price fixing and market manipulation.
- Represented a sports franchise and league in contract negotiations with the state and related entities.
- Representation of several law firms locally and regionally in various matters, including for theft and breach of fiduciary duty by a former partner, and regarding several malpractice and fraud claims.
- Representing local supplier and contractor of insulation products in insurance disputes related to asbestos claims.
- Represented insurance companies in class and individual actions related to sales practices.
An active participant in professional organizations, Steve serves on the Board of Governors of the International Society of Barristers, and has served on the Board of Directors of the Federal Bar Association and as Counsel to the New Orleans Bar Association Inn of Court. A member of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, he has been an arbitrator for the National Association of Securities Dealers, the American Arbitration Association, the National Arbitration Forum, and the New York Stock Exchange. He is also an arbitrator for the Louisiana State Bar Association Fee Dispute Panel. Steve has been a Hearing Committee Chairman for the Louisiana Attorney Disciplinary Board, a member of the Continuing Legal Education Committee of the Louisiana State Bar Association, and a member of the Advisory Committee for the Tulane Law Review. Steve is active in the American Bar Association and is a Fellow to both the American Bar Foundation and Louisiana Bar Foundation. He has taught as a member of the adjunct faculty at the Tulane University Law School for more than thirty years and is a full Professor. His teaching includes programs directed to students and to practicing lawyers in London, England; Siena, Italy; Paris, France; Lausanne, Switzerland; Zurich, Switzerland; and, Rhodes, Greece.
- April 26, 2019
- March 1, 2019
- December 28, 2018
- November 14, 2018
- October 1, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- May 4, 2018
- December 27, 2017
- November 13, 2017
- September 29, 2017
- August 17, 2017
- May 30, 2017
- January 6, 2017
- December 6, 2016
- September 1, 2016
- August 15, 2016
- May 27, 2016
- March 14, 2016
- December 24, 2015
- November 5, 2015
- September 22, 2015
- August 17, 2015
- May 19, 2015
- February 2, 2015
- January 12, 2015
- December 29, 2014
- December 19, 2014
- December 12, 2014
- Barrasso Usdin Named Product Liability Litigation Law Firm of the Year and Stephen Kupperman Named Securities Litigation Attorney of the Year by Corporate Intl MagazineMonday, Nov. 03, 2014
- Thursday, Oct. 02, 2014
- August 18, 2014
- June 17, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- April 7, 2014
- February 12, 2014
- January 2, 2014
- October 7, 2013
- September 24, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
A speaker and author, Steve has written several articles and been invited to speak at various seminars, including those sponsored by the Practising Law Institute, the American Bar Association, the Louisiana State Bar Association, the New Orleans Bar Association, the New Orleans Bar Association Inn of Court, Tulane University Law School, Lorman Education Services, the Europa Institute at the University of Zurich, and FINRA.
His published work includes:
- "Louisiana Class Actions," 74 Tulane Law Review 2047 (2000) (co-author with David G. Radlauer)
- "Securities Law: Aiding and Abetting, Conspiracy, Respondeat Superior, The 'Bespeaks Caution' Doctrine, Excessive Markups, and Scienter," 40 Loyola Law Review 819 (1995) (co-author with George C. Freeman, III)
- "The 'Bespeaks Caution' Doctrine," 4 Securities News 10 (1995) (co-author with George C. Freeman, III)
- "Survey of Securities Class Actions and Derivative Suits," a publication of the Securities Litigation Committee of the Litigation Section of the American Bar Association (1995-2000) (contributor for Fifth Circuit cases)
- "Selected Topics in Securities Arbitration: Rule 15c2-2, Fraud, Duress, Unconscionability, Waiver, Class Arbitration, Punitive Damages, Rights of Review, and Attorney's Fees and Costs," 65 Tulane Law Review 1301 (1991) (co-author with George C. Freeman, III)
- "Fifth Circuit Symposium: Securities," 35 Loyola Law Review 1017 (1989-1990) (co-author with George C. Freeman, III)
- "Recent Developments: Section on Antitrust and Trade Regulations," 35 La. Bar Journal 432 (1988)
- "The Relationship of Community Property and Forced Heirship to Employee Retirement Plans," 51 Tulane Law Review 645 (1977)
- "NEPA Held Inapplicable to the Revenue Sharing Act," 51 Tulane Law Review 156 (1976)
- "Susceptibility of Beds of Navigable Waters to Private Ownership," 50 Tulane Law Review 193 (1975)
- Stone, Pigman, Walther, Wittmann & Hutchinson, L.L.P.