- Law Clerk to the Honorable Lance M. Africk, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2005
Johns Hopkins University, M.A., 2001
Hamilton College, B.A., cum laude, 1999
Benchmark Litigation, Under 40 Hot List, 2016, 2017
Louisiana Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2016-2017
New Orleans CityBusiness,
Leadership in Law Award, 2017
University of Pennsylvania Law Review
Psi Chi Honor Society
- New York
Michael A. Balascio represents clients in securities litigation and arbitration, high-stakes insurance coverage and bad faith cases, and complex commercial litigation.
He has counseled investment management companies and brokers in federal court and FINRA proceedings in a variety of significant disputes involving securities fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, trade secrets, non-solicitation, and breach of contract. Michael's diverse experience with insurance coverage and bad faith cases involves claims for coverage under commercial general liability and excess policies. He has represented clients in a wide range of complex commercial litigation matters, including cases involving defamation, products liability, bankruptcy, and education law issues.
Michael received his law degree from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was a senior editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. Michael served as a law clerk to the Honorable Lance M. Africk of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana. Prior to joining the Firm, Michael was an associate at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP in New York. He was previously a teacher through the Teach For America program.
Michael has been recognized by Louisiana Super Lawyers as a Rising Star, and has been named to Benchmark Litigation’s Under 40 Hot List for 2016 and 2017. Michael was presented the New Orleans CityBusiness “Leadership in Law Award” for 2017.
- Successful representation at trial and on appeal of plaintiffs in lawsuit against state government officials related to education law issues, resulting in injunction
- Represents broker-dealers and registered representatives before FINRA arbitration panels in numerous customer complaints concerning a variety of claims and securities
- Successful defense of D&O insurer from claims related to massive chemical discharge
- Defense of medical device manufacturer in nationwide lawsuits regarding allegedly defective hip implants
- Successful defense of law firm and attorney in bankruptcy litigation alleging fraud and other wrongdoing, which resulted in dismissal of all claims brought by the plaintiff
- Represented trade association in prosecuting claims for defamation related to comments posted to public Internet websites
- Defense of local author in defamation lawsuit
- Defended investment bank in a multi-party bankruptcy litigation
- Represented international insurance company in billion-dollar securities fraud lawsuit
- Represented pro bono clients in a federal employment litigation
In addition to his practice, Michael is also active in professional and community organizations. Michael counsels start-up companies and entrepreneurs through his involvement with Propeller, a New Orleans-based social-impact business incubator.
- August 2, 2017
- February 22, 2017
- January 6, 2017
- August 8, 2016
- December 24, 2015
- February 20, 2015
- January 5, 2015
- "Legal Corner: Founder's Agreements," Silicon Bayou News (July 9, 2015) (co-author with Michelle M. Rutherford)
- "Legal Corner: Employment Issues Affecting Your Start-Up," Silicon Bayou News (February 4, 2015) (co-author with Michelle M. Rutherford)
- "Legal Corner: Winding Down Your L.L.C.," Silicon Bayou News (December 4, 2014) (co-author with Michelle M. Rutherford)
- "Legal Corner: Contract Drafting," Silicon Bayou News (October 7, 2014) (co-author with Michelle M. Rutherford)
- "Legal Corner: Non-Compete Agreements," Silicon Bayou News (August 4, 2014) (co-author with Michelle M. Rutherford)
- "Legal Corner: Legal Protection For Your App," Silicon Bayou News (June 4, 2014) (co-author with Michelle M. Rutherford)
- "Legal Corner: What Business Entity is Best for My New Company?," Silicon Bayou News (April 11, 2014) (co-author with James L. Michaels and Michelle M. Rutherford)
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP New York, New York