- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2005
- University of Vermont, B.A., 2001
- Connecticut Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2012-2013
- New England Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2012, Super Lawyer 2013 and 2014
- Secretary, Oliver Ellsworth Inn of Court, Hartford, Connecticut (2010-2012)
- Co-author and co-editor of A Practical Guide to Evidence in Connecticut (MCLE 2013)
Stephen R. Klaffky focuses his practice in the areas of commercial litigation, environmental litigation, insurance coverage and bad faith, and securities litigation and regulation.
Stephen has represented financial institutions, investors, manufacturers, and employers through trial and on appeal. As lead counsel, he has successfully defended clients against allegations involving fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, lender liability, employment discrimination, and wrongful termination. He has also helped clients to resolve claims asserted under federal and state environmental laws in numerous cases throughout the country. Such matters include class action toxic torts, citizen suits by environmental advocacy groups, and claims for contribution and indemnification by private land owners.
Prior to joining the firm, Stephen was a partner at Brown Rudnick LLP in Hartford, Connecticut. Stephen received a Bachelor of Arts degree in History and Political Science from the University of Vermont and his Juris Doctor cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center.
- Defense of securities broker-dealer in FINRA arbitration concerning the sale of mortgage-backed securities to an institutional customer
- Defense of excess liability insurer in connection with property damage claims resulting from sinkhole and related environmental effects
- Defense of environmental class action involving TCE groundwater contamination and vapor intrusion
- Prosecution of claims by bondholders alleging improper spin off of “all or substantially all” of issuer’s assets in violation of bond indenture
- Representation of hospital in litigation, arbitration, and administrative proceedings relating to dissolution of limited partnership serving as hospital’s radiology department
- Defense of commercial mortgage lender against claims that it negligently failed to investigate and detect borrower’s fraud and misappropriation of loan proceeds
- Representation of liquidation trustee in bankruptcy proceedings regarding warranty claims asserted against debtor for alleged defects in the manufacturing of rooftop solar energy panels
- Defense of wireless communications provider regarding alleged environmental effects of cellular antennas
- Defense of manufacturing company against CERCLA cost recovery claims by Department of Justice
- Defense of major metals recycler against Clean Water Act citizen suit brought by environmental groups
- Defense of energy company against claims of race and age employment discrimination during nation-wide reduction in force
- Pro bono representation of indigent artist, resulting in trial judgment of over $26,000 in compensation for loss and damage to client’s sculptures while on loan for display
- January 12, 2021
- January 5, 2015
- Barrasso Usdin Kupperman Freeman & Sarver, L.L.C.
- Brown Rudnick LLP, Hartford, Connecticut
- Updike, Kelly & Spellacy, P.C., Hartford, Connecticut