Tulane University Law School, J.D. Summa Cum Laude, 1981
University of Tennessee, Masters of Science in Social Work, 1976
California State University, Fullerton, California, B.A., 1973
American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
International Society of Barristers, Fellow and Past-President
Lawdragon: 500 Leading Lawyers, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2013-2019
Chambers USA, Ranked in Band 1, Litigation: General Commercial
Benchmark Litigation, Louisiana’s Litigator of the Year, 2012
Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star, since 2008
Benchmark Litigation, Top 250 Women in Litigation, since 2013
Diversity Journal, “Women Worth Watching,” 2013
The Best Lawyers in America, since 2001
The Best Lawyers in America, Bet-the-Company Litigation 'Lawyer of the Year' New Orleans, 2012, 2015, 2021
The Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law 'Lawyer of the Year' New Orleans, 2020
Louisiana Super Lawyers, Top 10 since 2008, Ranked #1 in the State in 2017 and 2018 and #2 in 2020 and 2021
New Orleans CityBusiness, Top 50 Lawyers
New Orleans Magazine, Top Lawyers, 2017
Tulane Law School’s Hall of Fame, Inducted in 2018
New Orleans Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, John R. “Jack” Martzell Professionalism Award, 2017
Louisiana Bar Foundation, Distinguished Attorney Award, 2016
Association of Women Attorneys, Michaelle Pitard Wynne Professionalism Award, 2003
Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating
Judy Barrasso is a founding member of Barrasso Usdin Kupperman Freeman & Sarver, L.L.C. Her practice focuses on commercial litigation, and includes complex commercial litigation matters and class actions involving insurance coverage and bad faith, director and officer liability, securities fraud, and commercial contracts. Judy has handled matters in at least twelve states.
Judy has been ranked by Chambers USA as a top commercial litigator and by Benchmark Litigation as a Litigation Star. She has been recognized among Benchmark's Top 250 Women in Litigation and Lawdragon’s 500 Leading Lawyers in America. Judy has also been recognized among Louisiana Super Lawyers' Top 10 and has been ranked Number One among lawyers in the State of Louisiana. According to Chambers, Judy “has a reputation as a formidable trial lawyer,” “stands ‘head and shoulders above much of the competition,’ and is “considered one of the state’s finest litigators.”
Judy is a member of the American College of Trial Lawyers and a fellow and Past President of the International Society of Barristers, organizations that select their members. She is a Past President of the New Orleans Bar Association. Judy was inducted into Tulane Law School’s Hall of Fame in 2018. She was the 2017 recipient of the John R. “Jack” Martzell Professionalism Award, presented by the New Orleans Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. She was also the 2016 recipient of the Louisiana Bar Foundation's Distinguished Attorney Award. Judy has taught as an adjunct professor at Tulane Law School, the Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy, and at continuing legal education programs throughout the United States. She previously served as a board member and then chair of the Louisiana Attorney Disciplinary Board from 2001-2005. She also served on the Attorney Disciplinary Committee of the United States District Court for the Eastern District by the Court’s appointment from February 2011 – July 2017.
- National Coordinating Counsel for international insurer in COVID-19 business income loss litigation.
- National Coordinating Counsel for insurer in Sandy Storm litigation.
- Court appointed Insurer Liaison Counsel in Hurricane Katrina litigation.
- Court appointed Insurer Liaison in Chinese Drywall MDL.
- Court appointed Insurer Liaison Counsel in putative legionella class action.
- Successfully represented commercial liability insurer at U.S. 5th Circuit in multimillion dollar deductible dispute.
- Led trial team defending commercial general liability insurers in environmental coverage case in New Mexico arising out of multiple uranium mine sites in New Mexico and Arizona.
- Defending insurers in 2017 Mississippi Attorney General litigation arising out of Hurricane Katrina claims in Mississippi courts.
- Successfully defended homeowner insurer in Crumbling Concrete Foundation putative class action in Connecticut federal court.
- Defended homeowner insurer in labor/depreciation putative class action in Arkansas federal court.
- Defended excess commercial liability insurer in a MDL securities litigation class action suit.
- Defending excess insurer in directors and officers liability litigation in Texas federal court.
- Defending excess insurer against a bad faith claim coverage dispute in multidistrict litigation related to a BP oil spill.
- Defending excess insurer in multi state coverage litigation arising out of sinkhole damage.
- Led the defense of multiple insurers in thousands of class actions and coverage disputes arising out of Hurricane Katrina.
- Led team defending insurer in statewide Preferred Provider Organization litigation, including successful arguments at U.S. 5th Circuit and Louisiana Supreme Court.
- Defending international insurer in coverage dispute arising out of Hulk Hogan litigation.
- Defended director and officer liability insurer against environmental claims in a class action arising out of a chemical spill.
- Defending international produce distributor in disputes with transportation company and cold storage facility.
- Defending director and officer in breach of fiduciary duty action.
- Member of trial team successfully defending retailer in collective action under Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Successfully represented international oil and gas company in an arbitration involving multi-million dollar contract dispute.
- Co-counsel for large independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company in suit relating to arbitration involving multi-million dollar drilling contract dispute.
- Defended Brazilian manufacturer in product defect action.
Judy is a Commissioner of the New Orleans Downtown Development District, and a Past Chair. She serves on the board of The Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights and is a member of the Dean's Advisory Board for Tulane University Law School. She previously served on the Board of Directors of the Contemporary Arts Center, Isidore Newman School, the New Orleans Pro Bono Project, Summerbridge, Dress For Success, and the Anti-Defamation League (South Central Region). Judy was named a Young Leadership Council Role Model in 2004, a YWCA Role Model in 2000, and a CityBusiness ‘Women of the Year’ honoree in 2001 and 2014.
- August 24, 2021
- August 19, 2021
- July 30, 2021
- May 21, 2021
- January 27, 2021
- Judy Barrasso Presented on the American Law Institute's Restatement of the Law of Liability InsuranceJanuary 26, 2021
- December 28, 2020
- October 8, 2020
- September 22, 2020
- August 20, 2020
- August 5, 2020
- April 24, 2020
- April 21, 2020
- January 15, 2020
- November 4, 2019
- October 8, 2019
- September 25, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- April 26, 2019
- March 1, 2019
- February 20, 2019
- December 28, 2018
- November 14, 2018
- October 22, 2018
- October 1, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- July 11, 2018
- May 4, 2018
- February 5, 2018
- December 27, 2017
- November 13, 2017
- September 29, 2017
- August 18, 2017
- August 17, 2017
- August 9, 2017
- May 30, 2017
- May 5, 2017
- March 24, 2017
- January 6, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- July 7, 2016
- May 27, 2016
- December 24, 2015
- November 5, 2015
- September 22, 2015
- August 17, 2015
- July 9, 2015
- May 19, 2015
- Judy Barrasso and Rick Sarver Named to the 2014-2015 Lawdragon 500 ‘Leading Lawyers in America’ ListMay 6, 2015
- April 20, 2015
- February 2, 2015
- December 29, 2014
- December 19, 2014
- Thursday, Oct. 02, 2014
- September 3, 2014
- August 18, 2014
- July 22, 2014
- Judy Barrasso Awarded “Best in Litigation” and Firm Awarded “Best in US South” at the 2014 Euromoney LMG Women in Business Law AwardsJune 6, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- April 15, 2014
- April 7, 2014
- January 20, 2014
- January 2, 2014
Judy has spoken at numerous seminars on a variety of litigation issues, including:
- "ALI Restatement of the Law, Liability Insurance," American Property Casualty Insurance Association (APCIA) and National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC) Regional Symposium (January 21, 2021)
- "Nuts and Bolts: Reaction to Primer on the Louisiana Duty-Risk Analysis," Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel and Louisiana Judicial Counsel co-sponsored Torts Seminar (December 7, 2018)
- "Professionalism in Litigation," Louisiana State Bar Association (December 2016)
- "Class Actions & Complex Litigation," Panelist, New Orleans Bar Association's Bench Bar Conference (April 2014)
- “Damages,” Panelist, New Orleans Bar Association’s Masters of the Courtroom CLE (December 2012)
- "Post-Disaster Issues: Lessons Learned from Katrina and the BP Oil Spill,” Panelist, Appellate Judges Education Institute Summit (November 2012)
- “Big Easy Bootcamp: Basic Training for Lawyering in New Orleans,” New Orleans Bar Association (October 2012)
- “Deposing Non-Medical Experts: Beating the Other Side at its Own Game,” Louisiana State Bar Association Taking Depositions That Win Cases (November 2011)
- “Status of Insurance Coverage Cases – Pollution Exclusion and Manifestation of Damages,” Chinese Drywall Litigation Conference (October 2011)
- “Daubert Motions,” Louisiana State Bar Association’s Motion Practice CLE (March 2011)
- Stone Pigman Walther Wittmann, L.L.C.