Tulane University Law School, J.D. Summa Cum Laude, 1981
University of Tennessee, Masters of Science in Social Work, 1976
California State University, Fullerton, California, B.A., 1973
American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
International Society of Barristers, Fellow and Past-President
Litigation Council of America, Fellow
Lawdragon: 500 Leading Lawyers, 2013-2016
Chambers USA, Ranked in Band 1, Litigation: General Commercial
Best Lawyers, Bet-the-Company Litigation 'Lawyer of the Year' New Orleans, 2012, 2015
Best Lawyers, since 2001
Benchmark Litigation, Louisiana’s Litigator of the Year, 2012
Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star, since 2008
Benchmark Litigation, Top 250 Women in Litigation, since 2013
Diversity Journal, “Women Worth Watching,” 2013
Louisiana Super Lawyers, Top 10 since 2008, Ranked #1 in the State in 2017 and 2018
New Orleans CityBusiness, Top 50 Lawyers
New Orleans Magazine, Top Lawyers, 2017
Tulane Law School’s Hall of Fame, Inducted in 2018
New Orleans Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, John R. “Jack” Martzell Professionalism Award, 2017
Louisiana Bar Foundation, Distinguished Attorney Award, 2016
Association of Women Attorneys, Michaelle Pitard Wynne Professionalism Award, 2003
AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated in Martindale-Hubbell
Judy Barrasso is a founding member of Barrasso Usdin Kupperman Freeman & Sarver, L.L.C. Her practice focuses on commercial litigation, and includes complex commercial litigation matters and class actions involving insurance coverage and bad faith, director and officer liability, securities fraud, and commercial contracts.
Judy has been ranked by Chambers USA as a top commercial litigator, by Benchmark Litigation as a Litigation Star, and by the Diversity Journal as among 200 corporate executives deemed “Women Worth Watching." She has also been recognized among Louisiana Super Lawyers’ Top 10, Benchmark Litigation’s Top 250 Women in Litigation, and Lawdragon’s 500 Leading Lawyers in America. In 2017 and 2018, Louisiana Super Lawyers ranked Judy as Number One among lawyers in the State of Louisiana. According to Chambers, Judy “has a reputation as a formidable trial lawyer,” “stands ‘head and shoulders above much of the competition,’ and is “considered one of the state’s finest litigators.”
Judy is a member of the American College of Trial Lawyers and a fellow and Past President of the International Society of Barristers, organizations that select their members. She is a Past President of the New Orleans Bar Association. Judy was inducted into Tulane Law School’s Hall of Fame in 2018. She was the 2017 recipient of the John R. “Jack” Martzell Professionalism Award, presented by the New Orleans Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. She was also the 2016 recipient of the Louisiana Bar Foundation's Distinguished Attorney Award. Judy has taught as an adjunct professor at Tulane Law School, the Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy, and at continuing legal education programs throughout the United States. She previously served as a board member and then chair of the Louisiana Attorney Disciplinary Board from 2001-2005. She also served on the Attorney Disciplinary Committee of the United States District Court for the Eastern District by the Court’s appointment from February 2011 – July 2017.
- National Coordinating Counsel for Insurer in Sandy Storm litigation.
- Court appointed Insurer Liaison Counsel in Hurricane Katrina litigation.
- Court appointed Insurer Liaison in Chinese Drywall MDL.
- Court appointed Insurer Liaison Counsel in putative legionella class action.
- Led the defense of multiple insurers in thousands of class actions and coverage disputes arising out of Hurricane Katrina.
- Led team defending insurer in statewide Preferred Provider Organization litigation, including successful arguments at U.S. 5th Circuit and Louisiana Supreme Court.
- Led trial team successfully defending commercial general liability insurer in coverage trial in federal court in Houston.
- Successful defense of director and officer liability insurer against environmental claims in a class action arising out of a chemical spill.
- Led trial team defending commercial general liability insurers in environmental coverage case in New Mexico arising out of multiple uranium mine sites in New Mexico and Arizona.
- Defending insurers in Attorney General litigation in Mississippi federal court.
- Defending homeowner insurer in Crumbling Concrete Foundation putative class action in Connecticut federal court.
- Defending homeowner insurer in labor/depreciation putative class action in Arkansas federal court.
- Defending excess commercial liability insurer in a MDL securities litigation class action suit.
- Defending excess insurer in directors and officers liability litigation in Texas federal court.
- Defending excess insurer against a bad faith claim coverage dispute in multidistrict litigation related to a large oil spill.
- Defending excess insurer in multi state coverage litigation arising out of sinkhole damage.
- Member of trial team successfully defending retailer in collective action under Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Successfully represented international oil and gas company in an arbitration involving multi-million dollar contract dispute.
- Co-counsel for large independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company in suit relating to arbitration involving multi-million dollar drilling contract dispute.
Judy is a Commissioner of the New Orleans Downtown Development District, and a Past Chair. She is a Board Member of the Contemporary Arts Center. She previously served on the Board of Directors of Newman School, the New Orleans Pro Bono Project, Summerbridge, Dress For Success, and the Anti-Defamation League (South Central Region). Judy was named a Young Leadership Council Role Model in 2004, a YWCA Role Model in 2000, and a CityBusiness ‘Women of the Year’ honoree in 2001 and 2014.
- August 15, 2018
- July 11, 2018
- May 4, 2018
- February 5, 2018
- December 27, 2017
- November 13, 2017
- September 29, 2017
- August 18, 2017
- August 17, 2017
- August 9, 2017
- May 30, 2017
- May 5, 2017
- March 24, 2017
- January 6, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- July 7, 2016
- May 27, 2016
- December 24, 2015
- November 5, 2015
- September 22, 2015
- August 17, 2015
- July 9, 2015
- May 19, 2015
- Judy Barrasso and Rick Sarver Named to the 2014-2015 Lawdragon 500 ‘Leading Lawyers in America’ ListMay 6, 2015
- April 20, 2015
- February 2, 2015
- January 12, 2015
- December 29, 2014
- December 19, 2014
- Thursday, Oct. 02, 2014
- September 3, 2014
- August 18, 2014
- July 22, 2014
- Judy Barrasso Awarded “Best in Litigation” and Firm Awarded “Best in US South” at the 2014 Euromoney LMG Women in Business Law AwardsJune 6, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- April 15, 2014
- April 7, 2014
- January 20, 2014
- January 2, 2014
- October 15, 2013
- October 7, 2013
- July 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- March 18, 2013
- July 10, 2012
Judy has spoken at numerous seminars on a variety of litigation issues, including:
- "Class Actions & Complex Litigation," Panelist, New Orleans Bar Association's Bench Bar Conference (April 2014)
- “Damages,” Panelist, New Orleans Bar Association’s Masters of the Courtroom CLE (December 2012)
- "Post-Disaster Issues: Lessons Learned from Katrina and the BP Oil Spill”, Panelist, Appellate Judges Education Institute Summit (November 2012)
- “Big Easy Bootcamp: Basic Training for Lawyering in New Orleans”, New Orleans Bar Association (October 2012)
- “Deposing Non-Medical Experts: Beating the Other Side at its Own Game,” Louisiana State Bar Association Taking Depositions That Win Cases (November 2011)
- “Status of Insurance Coverage Cases – Pollution Exclusion and Manifestation of Damages,” Chinese Drywall Litigation Conference (October 2011)
- “Daubert Motions,” Louisiana State Bar Association’s Motion Practice CLE (March 2011)
- Stone Pigman Walther Wittmann, L.L.C.